My experience as Qatar Airways cabin crew


Interview with Niamh Byrne from Irland – former flight attendant

First of all, how did you hear about the cabin crew recruitment and which airlines did you work for?

It was actually a friend’s suggestion, and because I’ve always wanted to travel, I thought why not? I started as cabin crew for Qatar Airways. After 4 years I decide to return home, to Ireland, where I worked as cabin crew for Air Lingus for another 2 years.

How was your life in Qatar as an expat?

Life was very different. I was lucky to be part of a great expat community, which helped. But you need to be very adaptable; to change and understand that you can’t do everything you normally would do at home, in Europe.

How did you feel when you had to stop flying?


I decided to stop flying, because I wanted to get married and be closer to what I called home. At that time I was excited to live a “normal life”, but I really miss flying and all the amazing places I got to see, and I guess regret that decision a bit.

Which was the best part of the cabin crew job?

Flying to all those amazing places that totally surprise you with their beauty! I always thought the best destinations were cities or remote islands, but one of my favorite places to go was Trivandrum (in India). I loved their traditional food and the hotel. It was one of those layovers where I could totally relax.

Was your health affected by all the traveling?

No not so much, you have to get used to working on little sleep, as the hours are a bit hectic. However, I found it easy to adapt and once I did, there were no problems.


Do you still keep in touch with your friends that you made around the world?

Yes! I keep in touch with a lot of friends from when I work “in the skies” and it’s amazing to see where we have all ended up. Living away from home, your friends become your family and only those flying really understand the lifestyle and experiences. So, it’s great to still have them in my life. I’m very grateful!

What are you doing at the moment, are you still in the Customer Service field?

I work as the merchandising manager at a John Deere dealership in Canada at the moment. All my experience in Customer service and sales from flying have opened many doors for me and given me great experience.

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.